Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer reading





I LOVE to read and my kids love to read ... so reading the books is not a problem. I think that if the kids are on vacation from school then any summer reading should be optional.
va·ca·tion- noun
a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday: Schoolchildren are on vacation now.

HUMM
key words here suspension of work

My kids will be the first to tell you we are the mean parents we make our kids do some kind of school work over the summer just to keep their little brains going. We do a lot of reading on our own. This year my oldest is going to take two classes over the summer one on grammar ( which I could use myself) and one on writing. They only last a week and are two hours a day.

I think having the option of having summer assignment is great BUT it should not count against them if they don't do it. Have them write a paper on the book or take a test and then use that as an EXTRA grade. If you want the whole class to read something together then do it during the school year....I'm just saying

6th grade
The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
The Sea of Monsters, by Rick Riordan

9th grade
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Count me in on the mean parent club...I have my kids to summer projects too!